What the heck is Digital Explorers?
Digital Explorers is a revolutionary idea connecting two buzzing ICT markets - Nigeria and Lithuania. Up to 50 young Nigerian developers, digital creatives and tech business developers like you will be hired by top tech companies in Lithuania and will also receive training in emerging technologies.
For one year as you learn and earn in Lithuania, there will also be opportunities to build your network with Nigerian and Lithuanian ICT professionals, and upon returning to Nigeria you can either work remotely for international organizations, with Nigerian Tech firms or create your own startup.
Who is behind the Digital Explorers programme?
The programme is implemented by a consortium of partners well-equipped for the journey ahead:
- Enterprise Lithuania, a public agency established in Lithuania to promote entrepreneurship, support business development and foster export.
- Ventures Platform Foundation, is the impact arm of Ventures Platform that supports entrepreneurs and innovators leveraging technology to build the future of Africa.
- AfriKo, a Lithuania based boutique Africa research and consultancy centre that specializes in ICT4D field.
- Code Academy, an ICT training provider based in Lithuania offering courses designed and delivered by experienced professionals.
- Diversity Development Group, a think and do tank carrying out scientific, applied and infrastructural projects in the fields of diversity, migration, and integration.
Why is Ventures Platform part of Digital Explorers programme?
Ventures Platform Foundation (VPF) is the impact arm of Ventures Platform. The foundation believes that by leveraging technology, entrepreneurs and innovators will build the future of Africa. VPF supports entrepreneurs and innovators, especially those in underserved communities, who leverage technology to create solutions to Africa's most urgent problems.
VPF believes that Nigeria’s new economy is the digital economy and will provide huge opportunities for economic growth and development for the country if we invest in it. The Digital Explorers programme seeks to promote Nigeria’s digital economy by advancing the careers of selected Nigerian ICT specialists in the digital space.
VPF sees an alignment between the aim of the Digital Explorers programme and the vision of the organization - building the future of Africa through innovation, entrepreneurship, and technology.
Why should I be interested in joining the journey of Digital Explorers?
- Be part of a highly motivated group of people ready to challenge themselves, experience new culture, grow professionally and personally together.
- Not only get opportunity to work on interesting and sophisticated projects in Lithuania, European ICT hub, but also get familiar with the local ecosystem.
- Have support from the programme team throughout your whole journey - be it soft landing in Lithuania or finding work opportunities upon return to Nigeria.
- It is a pilot programme between the two countries that had limited engagements before, so you would become a true pathmaker creating an unexpected yet mutually beneficial connections.
How will the journey of Digital Explorers look like?
After thorough and competitive selection process Digital Explorers (up to 50 Nigerian ICT specialists) will be matched with top tier tech companies in Lithuania where they will come to work for 1 year. Specific job positions will be defined based on the level of each participant and needs of the companies. While in Lithuania Digital Explorers will also attend skills enhancement training that will be designed according to their skills levels and interests.
After 1 year in Lithuania Digital Explorers will participate in reintegration activities in Nigeria that will be designed based on their experience in Lithuania and career interests upon return. Alumni network will also be established to facilitate further network building between Lithuanian and Nigerian ICT professionals.
What is the timeline of the programme?
March-May 2019 - Application and selection process
July 2019-July 2020 - Work placement in Lithuania
July 2020-September 2020 - Reintegration in Nigeria
Can I take other jobs in addition to being a part of Digital Explorers programme?
You will be rather busy during that 1 year in Lithuania - having a full time job, additional training and various activities that will help you to get exposed to the local ICT ecosystem - so you will have little or no time for other engagements. We expect you to commit your full attention and take the best out of this journey, therefore having additional jobs will not be possible.
Who do I talk to if I get stuck on the programme?
If you have any concerns or problems during your journey as a Digital Explorer whether with your work, accommodation, etc. you can be assured of the support of the programme team who will monitor your experience in Lithuania with regular meetings/calls.
Also, the team at AfriKo and/or the HR Consultant at Ventures Platform will always be on hand to provide support to ensure you have a smooth stay in Lithuania.